For immediate release:
April 22, 2021
For more information, contact:
Public Information Officer
Department of the Environment
Happy Earth Day!
Celebrate Earth Day Every Day in Prince George’s County
Largo, MD – Today, April 22, is the day Earth Day is officially celebrated, but your Prince George’s County Government invites you to enjoy Earth Day Every Day in 2021 and beyond.
“Taking care of Mother Earth is more important than ever,” says Acting Director Michelle Russell. “As we continue to practice social distancing, there are virtual opportunities and do-it-yourself activities that can show our commitment to protect and restore our planet.”
Throughout April, the Department of the Environment has been sharing information, tips, programs, and resources that County citizens and residents can do to give back to the planet and your community. These virtual Earth Day and Earth Month Activities are ways to bring your family, friends, and community together to do something positive.
Here are five ways to safely celebrate Earth Day:
- Ditch the car and walk, ride your bike, or carpool to get from place to place. The fewer cars that are on the road, the better off it is for our environment.
- Recycle, reduce and reuse! It’s our job to minimize the amount of waste going to our landfills.
- Plant a tree. Trees are a big part of our Earth, and planting one will add to the health and wellness of the world we live in.
- Stop drinking bottled water. If you stop drinking bottled water, you help keep plastic out of the landfills and waterways.
- Don’t litter! Properly dispose of all waste materials in the correct receptacles or containers and help clean up litter and debris within your neighborhoods and communities so you can stay Prince George’s Proud.
For more information on how you can celebrate Earth Day Every Day or participate in virtual events happening throughout the County, visit bit.ly/PGCEarthDayEveryDay.
# # #