WSSC Water Suspends Water Shutoffs
Due to the Coronavirus Outbreak
Maryland’s Largest Utility Takes Additional Steps
to Protect the Health of Customers and Employees
March 12, 2020 – In an effort to protect public health during the evolving coronavirus outbreak and to ensure safe, clean water continues to flow to customers’ homes, WSSC Water today announced it will suspend all water service shutoffs for those facing financial difficulties.
“Water is essential to our daily lives and ensuring that our safe, clean water continues to flow to all WSSC Water customers is crucial during this health crisis,” said WSSC Water General Manager and CEO Carla A. Reid. “The people on the frontlines fighting this virus, the doctors and hospitals, are relying on us to deliver safe, clean water. Therefore, we are taking unprecedented precautions to minimize the spread of coronavirus among our employees.”
To assist in the public health efforts to minimize the spread of the coronavirus, WSSC Water is implementing the following steps:
- All in-home, non-emergency work, including water sampling, inspections and in-home meter readings, are cancelled and/or postponed for one week. This decision will be reassessed weekly moving forward based on available information.
- All public meetings have been postponed for the next 30 days (April 12). This includes the Commission Meeting on Wednesday, March 18.
- All future in-person, public Commission meetings are postponed indefinitely until further notice.
- The One Stop Shop and WSSC Water cashier, both located at WSSC Water’s headquarters building at 14501 Sweitzer Lane in Laurel, will be closed for the next 30 days (April 12).
- WSSC Water’s satellite permitting offices in both Montgomery and Prince George’s counties are closed for the next 30 days (April 12).
- The Visitor Center at Brighton Dam will be closed for the next 30 days (April 12).
- All non-essential WSSC Water employees who can work from home are encouraged to telework for the foreseeable future.
- For employees who cannot do productive work from home, supervisors will implement social distancing measures.
WSSC Water will also waive late fees and work one on one with customers to customize a payment plan. WSSC Water offers a variety of ongoing affordability programs to help customers in need. Customers are encouraged to contact WSSC Water and speak with a representative at 301-206-4001 or 1-800-828-6439 to discuss their specific situation.